To maintain productivity and reduce injuries and time off, consider winter safety and create a plan for your facility. A little time spent planning can go a long way.
Consider things like:
- Equipment Location: Where are the shovels, snow brooms, salt, wet floor signs?
- Employee assignments: Who should stay home? Who will do the following: plow, salt, check for slip mats, inspect areas, escort customers.
- Inspections: Will managers inspect footwear? Will an employee be assigned to check a doorway each hour?
- Snow removal plan: Does everyone understand the process before the big storms roll in?
- Employee Training: Does everyone understand not just the plan, but best practices for staying safe in winter weather?
- Communication of Plan Activation: How do we let employees know that we are activating our winter weather plan?